Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Whatcha' Cookin' Wednesday - "Mac n' Cheese"

It used to kill me everytime I made "instant" macaroni and cheese from a box. Sure, it was super-easy and fast but even though I made the organic kind it just didn't ring right with me.

About a year ago I started asking around for good mac n' cheese recipes at dinner parties and after potlucks but I had a really tough time creating a dish that tasted as good as the owner had made. I was stumped.

Then my friend and former colleague Lauren sent me her recipe. BINGO. Granted, hers is from Weight Watchers and is a MUCH lower fat version than the one listed here (I practically tripled the cheese) but the basics are still there and it 's super tasty. And easy. (Lauren suggests using Ronzoni pasta since it's higher in fiber.) Other pluses are that it reheats well and my kiddos LOVE it. And I feel good about serving it to them. I guess that makes it a win-win-win-win.


(PLEASE note that the pic above is a halved recipe. The recipe listed below calls for a 9 x 13 pan.)
MAC n' CHEESE
Ingredients:

8 oz. sour cream
12 oz evaporated milk (fat-free or 2%)
1 cup milk
18 oz cheese (we use the “three-cheese” organic mix from Kroger)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp table salt (or to taste - we omit the salt when we make it for the kids)
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp dried bread crumbs
4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
12 oz. of macaroni or elbow noodles (We use Ronzoni Smart Taste or Trader Joe's Vegetable Raditore)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and transfer to a large bowl.

While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.

Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges.

Reduce heat to low, slowly whisk in 2/3 of the cheese (12 oz.) and simmer until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt and pepper.

Add cheese mixture to pasta; stir in remaining 6 oz. of cheese. Mix well.

Transfer to lightly greased/sprayed 9x13 casserole dish.

Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly over pasta.

Bake until top is golden, about 40-50 minutes.

No comments :