Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bulk Up! Week 4 of the 10-week series 10 Easy Way to Living Affordably Organic


And we're baaaaack.... Week 5 of the 10-week series, 10 Easy Ways to Living Affordably Organic!

Sorry for the break in posts, folks. My family got laid out with a nasty bug and we're just now resurfacing.  Thanks for hanging in there.  Let's get on with the good stuff... :) 

One of the essential keys to living Affordably Organic is thinking BIG.  That means buying and cooking in large quantities. 

First, let’s talk BUYING big.  The three top places we buy in bulk are:

1) warehouse store

2) grocery

3) local farm or farmers market 


Warehouse Store

One of the easiest and most popular ways to buy in bulk is to shop a local warehouse store. Here's our fave:


We have an Executive membership at Costco that pays for itself. It may seem a little costly at $100./year but we get 1% back on all our purchases, which pay for the membership fee and then some. We make sure that we shop there as often as appropriate - we don’t shop there for the sake of racking up that 1%. Costco offers more than great deals on food and household goods. They also have lower than usual gasoline prices, which helps us get more cash back at the end of the year. I’ve found that Costco carries more organics than the other warehouse clubs in our area (Sam’s and BJ’s) and has a wider variety of things we like. Organics that we routinely buy at Costco are: brown rice, quinoa, tomato sauce and paste, peanut butter, low-sugar jam, chicken, beef, coffee, salad mix (when it’s out of season or I don’t have any growing in the garden), carrots (same), frozen broccoli (ditto), frozen veggie mixes and olive oil. They also offer a wide variety of nuts and dried fruit, although most of the latter have added sugar so you need to read the labels carefully.

Here’s some good examples of foods you should BUY in bulk at your local warehouse store:
Rice
Grains
Nuts
Dried Fruit
Nut butters
Canned goods
Cereal (such as oats and granola)


Grocery Store
Another place we routinely buy in bulk is our local grocery store. I keep a keen look-out for rock-bottom deals (especially on items that I use regularly) and buy the place out when I find an especially good bargain. For example, last month my local grocery was phasing out nearly all it’s organic butter – about 14 lbs. worth at an average of $2./lb. (Regularly priced at $6./lb. Whoa!) I bought all of it and stuck it in the freezer. I saved over $56. on organic butter because I was willing to buy in bulk and freeze for future use.  

Here's my freezer door:
Not a very good picture but you get idea...  That's a lotta buttah!


Farmer Surplus
The 3rd “buy in bulk” option involves your local farmer. Consider buying end-of-season farmer surplus at GREAT prices and freeze, can or ferment for future use. 

Strawberry season has begun! And I'll be buying these babies in bulk at the end of the season...

Items include nearly all veggies and fruits especially tomatoes, peppers, peaches, cucumbers (make relish), apples, strawberries, citrus (freeze the juice!), basil (freeze after emulsifying in olive oil), root veggies and much more. Forge a relationship with a favorite seller at your local farmers market and offer to buy end-of-season surplus at super low prices. I scored bushels (and I mean BUSHELS) of peaches for pennies on the dollar at the end of last season. We cut into cubes and froze for future use in smoothies, pies, cobblers and jam. The farmer was thrilled that his surplus wouldn't end up as waste and I was thrilled to be eating peach cobbler at Christmas.  

Next up:  COOK in bulk.  I’ll include some easy recipes, plus storage methods that work for my family.

Organically yours,

Minde

Where's your fave spot to buy in bulk?  Where do you get the biggest bang for your bulk-buying buck?

Thanks to greenwenvy08 and ianmalcm for the awesome pics!

2 comments :

Vicki said...

Minde,
I just read thru a couple of your articles and I found them to be very helpful and well organized. Thanks for the great suggestions.
I have one question: I heard from a friend that her son, who is a chef, loves to shop at the Buford Highway Farmer's Market. He says that the produce is very fresh there because they have so many customers and the turnover is high. I'd be interested in hearing if you have any experience with shopping there and comment re how you think it compares to other resources?

Minde Herbert said...

Hey Vicki! I'm on the opposite side of town from the Buford Farmer's Market. I've never been and haven't had a reason to go since we try to "buy local" and most farmer's markets like Buford and Dekalb carry produce that come from hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles away. Any idea how many organics they offer? I just read on Yelp that it seems that they have pretty good selection. I see a road trip in my future. :) Thanks for the inspiration. :)