Sunday, September 14, 2008

Priceless

If I know anything it's this:

Nothing is worth more than this day.

Last night we learned that a family friend died in a tragic accident. He was not old, just 56, and had plenty of years and life left. He left behind three children and a wife of nearly 29 years. He was a good man. He did good things. He was loved. He was respected. And now he is gone. Suddenly and without warning.

I slept fitfully last night. I woke up thinking about my life and my kids and my husband and how lucky I feel to have my life. If only for one more day.

I often wonder why we're here, what my role is on this planet and if I am fulfilling my true destiny. Is it to raise great people that will do great things? Is it something that I have yet to discover? Will I find out when it's too late? Will I ever find out?

Full disclosure: I read the obituaries every day. I've been doing this for years and I have no clear understanding why. Maybe it's to see how others mark their time on earth. Maybe it's to see who "mattered" and did good stuff, and who didn't. I am saddened by the simple obits that just have a few lines: John Smith died on Sept. 12. No funeral is planned. Lots of those. Too many of those. My grandfather had a large article written about him when he died. His memorial was standing room only. The same will happen when my grandmother passes. This is how I think it should be. You should leave a mark. You should let the world know that you were here.

I am a thankful person and this is something that we deeply instill in our children. Always. I know what I have and I know how quickly it can be taken away. We teach this to them too. There is no entitlement. No "givens" and no promises in life. I know, especially after the last 24 hours, that nothing, NOTHING, is worth more than this day.

Rest in peace, Doyle.

No comments :