Friday, December 19, 2008

Tunes to Survive By

"We are driving." he said. "If we fly we won't get the adventure."

Oh nooooooooooooooo....

It's official. We're driving to Florida for the holidays. South Florida.

10+ hours with 2.5-year old toddlers.

I plan to reach the stage of "acceptance" any minute now.

Since I'm a big-time music lover, I figured one of my survivial tactics to bring along some really fantastic tunes. For the kiddos that we could also enjoy. (ENJOY, not tolerate.) I cast the net (i.e. sent e-mails) to the various parent groups that I belong to and waited for the suggestions.

My request was specific: I need kid music that isn't kiddie music.

None of the "WHEELS ON THE BUS GO 'ROUND AND 'ROUND" stuff...

Absolutely (bleepin') not.

I got some GREAT feedback. (Thanks, everyone!)

Here's a sample of the set list:

The entire album "No!" by They Might Be Giants (all I had to do was listen to "Robot Parade" and I was hooked)

Octopus' Garden - The Beatles

Yellow Submarine - The Beatles

Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles

HoneyPie - The Beatles

Blackbird - The Beatles

Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da - The Beatles

Various Jack Johnson tunes including some the Curious George soundtrack (minus "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle." That one makes my ears bleed... Ah, c'mon, don't look at me like that...)


Dancing Queen - ABBA (No, Danger Dad doesn't mind listening to ABBA for short periods of time. Another good reason to stay married to him.)

Waterloo - ABBA


Mama Mia - ABBA


Take a Chance on Me - ABBA


Super Trouper - ABBA


Boogie Oogie Oogie - A Taste of Honey

How Sweet It Is (to be loved by you) - James Taylor *and* Michael Buble versions

Groove Me - King Floyd

Entire Album of Muisiques Pour Mon Bébé (a great classical mix given to me by a dear friend that lives in Luxemburg - fantastic for winding down or napping)

Shake Your Groove Thing - Peaches & Herb

Boogie Shoes - K.C. & The Sunshine Band

Various Ben Folds (and Ben Folds Five) - (but not as much as I would like since he's a big fan of the F-word.)

The entire album of "Philadelphia Chickens" by Sandra Boynton. (Yes, this is technically "kiddie" music but it is fun and sweet and smart and idd I mention fun? And we can turn it off when we feel like our brains are going to explode.)

Any other suggestions???

2 comments :

Mayberry said...

My kids like some Barenaked Ladies songs -- like If I Had a Million Dollars (BNL). Also my son is a HUGE FAN of Hey Julie by Fountains of Wayne (the rest of that album is v. good too--Welcome Interstate Managers).

Plus, Christmas music!

Improvedliving said...

well i want to get survived by this.



Beatles Fan