Monday, January 19, 2009

Ode to the Internets

I’m not ashamed to admit it. When Sam and Jane were first born my lifeline to the outside world was the Internet.

On most days I was pretty good about getting showered and dressed in a (somewhat) clean change of clothes and venturing out into the outside world, if only for a spin around the block. But when I just couldn’t get it together I found solace, advice, support and a good belly laugh just a few clicks away.

Now that my kiddos are nearly three (OMGWHENDIDTHATHAPPEN), and even though I'm out and about LOTS more, I find that my relationship with the internet hasn’t changed all that much. It’s where I get my news, recipes, perspective, giggles and, most importantly, connect with friends.

Yes, I wish that I could I connect in a more personal way... like seeing folks IN PERSON or talking by phone or maybe even actually handwriting (gasp!) a thoughtful letter…

But that’s not gonna happen. Not these days anyway…

So, I’m thankful for the internet. And more specifically, I’m thankful that dude who invented Facebook.

Facebook is
not perfect but it allows me to stay in touch with dear friends and connect with old ones too. (Shout out to the SRVHS class of ’86….) "Status Updates" announce pregnancies and births and job loss and break-ups and hook-ups and happiness and sickness and celebrations and sadness and all sorts of life changes that are tough to stay on top of in these days that are already FILLED with work and kid-rearing and volunteering and keeping the house running and staying civically involved and on and on and on… I have handfuls and handfuls of pals that are scattered across the globe and connecting with them via Facebook almost makes me feel like I’m having a cup of coffee with them nearly every day. It allows me to be involved and to let them know I care. Am I lazy? No. I’m lucky that there’s a tool that allows a busy mom/wife/employee to stay engaged with a world that might otherwise slip away…

So thanks, Facebook Dude, for helping me stay afloat in my relationships. (Or maybe I should be thanking Al Gore?) I'll be sure to give you a proper kudos in my next Status Update.

No comments :