Thursday, January 1, 2009

Road Trip - Part 1

Happy New Year! We are back from the Road Trip. And finally ready to write about it.

The plan was to get up in the dead of night, put sleeping kiddos in the car and drive half-way to Miami before they woke up.

This was Danger Dad’s plan.

Danger Dad doesn’t understand that our children have never, EVER slept in the car.

Except for J.


After hand surgery.

So, here’s how it started:

1:45 a.m. – DD and I gently scoop sleeping kiddos out of their beds

1:45 and 10 seconds a.m. - S pops up head and says excitedly, “We’re going to Miami!”

1:47 a.m. – depart Atlanta

1:47 – 3:20 a.m. – S and J chatter about Miami! and Cousin Mary! and “This is really funny!” (meaning “driving in the dark”, which they have rarely experienced) and “Miami is THIS way” accompanied by lots of pointing and finally several rousing choruses of “Baa Baa Black Sheep”

3:21 a.m. - S announces, “All done.”

3:21 – 5 a.m. – S whines, chants and begs… “All done, all done, all done…”

(During this time I’m singing, reading, singing, soothing, playing music, talking, reading, soothing…. Lather, rinse, repeat…)

5 a.m. – S falls asleep

5:30 – S awake

(More reading, singing, reading, etc.)

7:30 a.m. – Breakfast stop at a Cracker Barrel. Those rocking chairs are from heaven... and the best jungle gym on the planet.

9 a.m. – back in car



(I think everyone looks pretty good...)

9 - 11:38 a.m. - "We Might be Giants" serenades us with "Robot Parade", "I'm Not Your Broom", "Middle. Middle, Middle" and on and on and on... We also sample a bit of "Philadelphia Chickens" (fave is a toss up between "Belly Button" and "Silly Lullaby", "Snacktime!" (no clear fave) and an assortment of ABC and 123 songs. (I LOVE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. Even after nearly 2 hours. LOVE.)

11:39 a.m. – J sleeps

11:49 a.m. – J wakes up


(that was a whole 10 minutes of sleep in case you're good at math...)

Noon – J and S see the ocean for the first time.

Magic.



Much frolicking on beach. Unbridled enthusiasm and boundless joy. Amazing to watch. No fear. Total happiness. I am spellbound and do my best to capture it:










…to be continued…

2 comments :

Lisa said...

I don't know how you guys survived that trip!!! But I'm glad you made it to the beach and had so much fun.
I just got a science cd for the kids from the library. It's very educational and pretty funny for adults to listen to!

Jennifer said...

Just cruising around your blog! I love it!

These pictures are amazing and I can just imagine how it must have felt to see them experience the ocean for the first time. Simply wonderful and peaceful. All is right with the world when my toes are in the sand.

I'm enjoying the recipes you share on Wednesdays, too! I love how they sound simple AND delicious! I'm so making that baked pasta dish this weekend.

Keep up the good work...