Monday, October 27, 2008

Common Thread

One absolute common thread I see in all twin moms: They are do-ers.

And they’re almost always over-achievers.

Big-time over-achievers.

Like “volunteer-for-every-committee-in-the-neighborhood” kind of over-achievers. And “it-doesn’t-exist-and-I-need-it-so-I’ll-create-it” over-achievers. But mostly “just-because-I-have-twins-it’s-not-going-to-slow-me-down” kind of over-achievers.

We get it done.

This seems universal. I have yet to meet a twin mom, and I know a TON of twin moms, that doesn't fit this bill.

Yes, we are overwhelmed and tired and wondering and doubting and hoping that we’re doing it all right but it seems that the one, big truth with twin moms is that we’re incredibly capable in one form or another.

Are we over-achievers and capable because we are twin parents? Or has being a twin mom brought that out in us? (Which can happen in a very Hulk-like fashion... but in a good way.)

I think that somehow having twins lifts you up and enables you to do things that you never thought possible. At least that’s how it is for me. I was always a do-er but after having twins it seems I clicked into overdrive. An overdrive that is mostly exhausting but always, always a good thing. Sometimes I can’t believe the fullness of my days. It’s amazing. And I hear the same things from other twin mamas.

We need to celebrate this.

I’m not always successful. Ha. Not even close. But I try. I try hard. And I’m incredibly motivated to stay on track and keep achieving, especially since it’s a good model for S & J.

Can we have it all? Not sure about that yet… But we keep achieving and striving and doing. And living very full twin-dom lives.

It’s awesome.

3 comments :

Lauren Shankman said...

Just the kind of motivation I needed this morning-- THANKS! I also have no idea what I did with my days pre-twins. In the midst of the chaos of having multiples you start to create some sort of order in your life too...... kind of sink or swim actually!

Got Triplets? said...

Hear hear!!!

Childsplayx2 said...

Yes, I actually pity those with singletons. They have no idea the power that resides within them.