Sunday, March 13, 2011

Affirmed


I’m baaaack. :)

And tired. And happy.  The Georgia Organics annual conference was filled with incredibly enlightened and forward-thinking farmers, consumers, market managers and organic food lovers.  I gleaned bushels of info and enjoyed rubbing elbows and learning from folks that are bringing real, organic food to our tables. 

What deeply resonated with many folks and dominated many of my conversations was “how are we going to afford it?”

I was thrilled and extremely humbled to see my “Affordably Organic” session fill up and nearly bust at the seams. (Standing room only!  Wow!) It was a privilege to share my real-world experiences about how we feed our family organics on a budget.  After the presentation people asked really thoughtful questions, we had some laughs (do I really have 20 chickens in my freezer?  Um, YES.), then many stayed after to share personal experiences, learn more and exchange info. The large and enthusiastic crowd confirmed what I already knew: People understand the importance of eating organics and, even with tight budgets, are eager to find creative ways to make it a lifelong and viable lifestyle choice. (You can do it!)

A huge THANK YOU to all the folks that came out to learn about living Affordably Organic!!  Please drop me a line for the recipes mentioned during the presentation and I’ll send them along.  Affordablyorganic (at) gmail (dot) com

Next week we'll start a series: 10 Easy Ways to Live Affordably Organic. I'll share the methods that I've honed over the last few years that allow me to feed my family of four an almost entirely organic diet on an extremely tight budget.

First up: 

KNOW YOUR FOOD.  

(Really, how *well* do you know your food...?  Well, we're about to find out...)


Organically yours,

-Minde

Below are some fun photos of the conference...  Food, of course...  :)

Yes, even the sugar for our coffee, tea, etc. was organic.  

One of the opening day breakfast buffets.  Eggs and granola and cereal and fruit and 
yogurt and jams and nut butters - oh my!  ALL organic.  Yummers. 

2 comments :

Thatgaljill said...

Do you have a second freezer? My biggest dilemma sometimes is I don't have the freezer space for extra stuff (the side-by-side came with the house)

Minde Herbert said...

Yes! I have a small second freezer in the basement. My side-by-side could probably handle most of our stuff but we found a really cheap "scratch and dent" freezer so went for it to handle the overflow. :)