Thursday, March 31, 2011

Say Howdy to Your Inner Farmer - GROW YOUR OWN! Week 3 of 10 Easy Ways to Living Affordably Organic



Today we start Week 3 of the 10-week series of 10 Easy Ways to Living Affordably Organic, which promises to bring out your inner farmer. Howdy! This week we'll focus in easy ways to GROW (and make!) your own food. 

I have a confession to make: 

I love getting dirty.  (Ah, c'mon... Not like that.)

It brings me joy to put my hands in fresh soil, anticipating what sort of food I might be able to grow. I know that not everyone feels this way and the prospect of growing your own food can be daunting.

Here’s the good news: 

It’s easy. It’s fun. (And it’s really not all that dirty.

The secret?  You don’t need a big plot of land, or even land at all.  

Container gardening is a great option for those with limited space, budget and time.  It's uncomplicated and very rewarding. The general rule is that any vegetable that grows in the ground can be grown in a container. (Although some items, like corn, may not be the best choice since you’ll have to source out dwarf varieties.) This topic is particularly apropos since now is the time in many areas of the U.S. to start seeds and/or get plants started.

I’m mindful to grow items that can be expensive at the store, especially if buying organically. Big, robust heirloom tomatoes can run up to $6./PER POUND. (gulp.)  Red bell peppers can also get pricey. You can easily grow your own and save lots of cash.

I typically plant a dozen or so pots every year. About eight on my back deck and four on my front porch...  My container farm usually includes (but is not limited to) tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, basil, strawberries, mint, lemon thyme, rosemary and squash.  (Cucumber, carrots and beans also grow beautifully in containers, as do potatoes and eggplant.) I include herbs in my window boxes too, in order to really maximize my space. (And I should also add that I have a kid's wagon full of mint in my front flower bed - the neighborhood kids love it. Our street has the mintiest breath in town!) 

To start container gardening you’ll need:

Pots with good drainage – As I mentioned in a previous post, I mostly use these fun Ikea step stools (yes, upside down stools!) because they’re deep and the perfect size for my space. I drilled four holes in the bottom before planting… You can use any kind of pot as long as it’s big enough for your crop.

Soil – Use good, organic soil to give your plants a good start. I use a mix of compost, manure and organic gardening soil.

Direct sun – Find a spot for your containers so they get are least 6 hours of sun a day.

Fertilizer – You need to feed your farm.  I use a combo of compost and Miracle-Gro’s organic liquid and get great results.

Water – Give your garden a regular drink but don’t overwater.

Start today and you'll have luscious tomatoes in just a few months! It's so lovely to simply step outside your door and harvest your own organic produce...  And save money to boot! 

Next up:  Making your own food…  Last week we ditched the processed foods.  This week I’ll include more recipes for healthy substitutes from food that you can grow on your own.  

Organically yours,

Minde


A 4-week harvest of front porch-grown basil!

My kale seeds started sprouting...



What are your favorite veggies, herbs, etc. to grow in pots? Share here...    

1 comment :

Audra J Saleh said...

Try strawberries in a hanging basket!