Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dirty dishes can wait


"The best inheritance a parent can give his children is a few minutes of his time each day."  -O.A. Battista, Catholic author (1901-1973)
It seems that what my kids want most from me is what I often find hardest to give:
 Time. 
I am so intent on creating a healthy and happy environment (figuratively and literally) for my 4-year old twins that I often forget that the most important part of the day is when I drop whatever I’m doing and just get down on the floor and play with them.  It’s a simple concept, really.  We should spend time with our children doing what is most valuable, what we love to do most–what makes us, and those we care about, happy.  It's a win-win for all involved.
Instead, far too often Moms spend their time keeping the family fabric glued together so that everyone has what they need. (Or what we think they need. I'm afraid that my children's childhood memories will consist of constant errand-running!)  I know that if I asked my son how he’d rather spend time with me - buying new underwear or playing with Legos–he’d emphatically choose Legos.  Hands down.  
Nothing means more to a child than the time they spend with the most important people in their lives–their parents.  And while underwear is important stuff, nothing trumps the time we have with our kids right now.  So, I’m making a conscious effort to make time for and savor the Lego Moments (and trying to balance the underwear moments) to insure that the time that is spent with my children is the best it can be. 
An awesome reason for leaving the dirty dishes.  My fabulous and fun daughter. 

No comments :