Sunday, July 27, 2008

Do-Over

It’s not the same. It’s not even close.

People that have kiddos that are close in age sometimes want to commiserate with me about the trials and tribulations of having twins.

"You and I have a similar situation," they say.

These people are good people and good moms and very well-intentioned.

But it’s not the same.

Not even close.

And mostly because of one word:

Do-over.

Danger Dad and I may not have more kids. We’d very much like to but it may not happen. We’re “if-the-universe/God-wants-it-to-be-then-it-will-be” kind of folks so another baby will be welcomed but not counted on. I am healthy and fit but (cue the scary music: “dumm, dumm, dummmmm”)...

I’m also 40.

(Do you hear the 1980's-Jamie Curtis-in-Halloween-style scream?!? EEEEEEEK!)

That means that I may not have a chance for a “do-over.”

As Pamela Prindle so aptly puts it:
With each child going through the same stage and phase simultaneously, there's no opportunity to learn from past experience.


In short, parents of multiples don't have the advantage of hindsight.

This is upsetting to me. Many even more than the possibility of not adding to our already-awesome family.

I would like some do-overs. I'm so scared of making mistakes. And I know that I make them.

SCORES of 'em.

I try to learn from my mistakes now but wonder if it's too late. Can we escape scaring our children with our own ignorance?

For now I will love, discipline and teach with "do-over" always top of mind. Because I may not have a second chance.

1 comment :

Lauren Shankman said...

This post is what runs through my head practically EVERY DAY. thanks.