Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Bye-Bye Bag

I retired the diaper bag yesterday.

Not because my kiddos are finally potty-trained. Lawdy no. We’re still very Diaperrific around here. I retired it because I think it’s TIME. It’s TIME for me to carry a real handbag. Something without 20 pockets or an insulated area for a bottle.

For going on 2.5 years I’ve been totin’ around a small, black, rip-stop canvas/nylon/NASA material-type Lands End “Little Tripper” diaper bag. (Yeah, LANDS END. Snicker away, people…) Everyone told me that it was too small and that it would never hold ALL THE STUFF I was going to need for twins. They were wrong. It rose beautifully to its Tour of Duty. Turns out I didn’t need much. Two diapers, some wipes and, well, not much else. Not once did I experience a super pooper blow-out where I’d need of a change of clothes for one of the kiddos. Not once did I need more than one diaper during an outing. Not once. It’s been perfect.

Unfortunately, now I think experiencing the Seven Stages of Grief:

Shock or Disbelief – am I really ready to retire this bag?

Denial – there’s noooo way my kiddos are old enough for me to retire this bag.

Bargaining – maybe I can still use it? All those pockets… Very, very useful…

Guilt – it’s been so good to me.. holding those diapers and all… it’s still in great shape…

Anger – I don’t need this stinkin’ bag. It’s a DIAPER BAG. Must. Get. Rid. Of. It.

Depression – There’ll never be another bag that truly fits all my needs. I’m doomed to wander around Marshall’s forever trying to find the perfect bag… Crud…

Acceptance and Hope – I can do this. I can move beyond the diaper bag.

So, because it’s TIME, I traded it out for a fun, bright red purse with a shiny patent leather strap. Super sassy. The new model. Since I hit a big age milestone recently I’ve been thinking a lot about the new model. Just because something is a little worn out although still very useful do you get rid of it or banish it to the back of the closet? Not always. But sometimes you have to move on and sometimes the newer model helps you do that.

I think I’ll keep the Little Tripper around. I just can’t throw it out. It may come in handy again some day soon.

No comments :