Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Teach your children well

Tomatoes do not come from Wal-Mart.

Neither do peaches, cucumbers, honey, eggs or cheese.

Or milk.

These are the lessons I’m trying to teach my kiddos.

These things come from the earth. They are grown, nurtured and cultivated by people. Important stuff to know, I think.

Late last week I took S & J to our little, down-home and absolutely charming Farmer’s Market. It’s held weekly in the shared parking lot of the library and public health department. Our county has a cool plan for low-income family and WIC coupon holders. They can “spend” their WIC vouchers buying healthy veggies, fruit and honey at the farmer’s market. Fabulous.

In March the kiddos and I got some organic tomato and jalapeno pepper seeds. S & J watched as I planted the seeds in warm peat and placed them in the middle of the sunny kitchen table. Together we watered them every day until a tiny green head popped out of the dirt to say hello.

We’re growing our food,” I told them. “We need to care for these seeds so they will provide us with yummy eats."

A month or so later we transplanted the seedlings into cups, then finally into large colorful pots (actually, funky garbage cans from Ikea) on our back deck. They are thriving in the Georgia heat and sun and its fun to check on them everyday and dream of the luscious tomato sandwiches and tasty roasted peppers to come. The kiddos love to touch the fruit and poke and wiggle their fingers in the dirt.

I love that.

We also planted some sunflower seeds in the front flower beds. We oooh and aaah over their big, colorful heads peeking over the porch rail.

Most days I'm at a loss at what to teach my children. Sure, I've got the basics covered: be kind, be thankful, nuture others and love, love, love..

I think that those "basics" apply to food too.

I'll let you know when our tomatoes are sandwich-ready.

No comments :